- What is an alias?
- How does changing my alias affect email?
- Selecting an alias
- Guidelines for the alias
An alias is an alternate identifier that commonly follows a firstname.lastname convention, such as mary.smith. If your name or university status changes, an alias will allow your email receivers to identify you accurately.
Remember: Establishing an alias does not change the way you log in. You must still use the UMassD logon to log in to all applications and systems; you cannot log in using your alias.
You can request an alias by logging an IT Help Case and selecting Access Management from the menu options.
Having an alias does not automatically enable it for use (you must activate it for each service).
Once your alias is created, you can then activate it for use with email.
Messages sent through UMass Dartmouth email servers will display your email@example.com as the "from" address (it will no longer display your UMassD logon username, even though your username remains valid for your email).
When you activate an alias for email, people sending you email messages may address them to either the UMassD logon username (firstname.lastname@example.org) or to the alias (email@example.com).
You can change your alias at any time. When the alias is changed, the following sequence occurs:
- alias changed from firstname.lastname@example.org to email@example.com
- all email sent by the user will be rewritten immediately to firstname.lastname@example.org
- email sent to email@example.com will be delivered for 30 days.
- the firstname.lastname@example.org will be unavailable to any user after 60 days
Access Management will assist you with possible options in selecting and creating an alias and they have the final approval over your selection.
Choices must be compatible with the Responsible Use Policy, and should present a professional public image of the university. CITS reserves the right to deny a request for a variety of reasons.
NOTE: Once you have changed your alias, you cannot change it again for 30 days. If you have further questions, contact Access Management at x8528.
- must be appropriate and professional
- must use a period (.) to separate the firstname.lastname
- standard firstname.lastname is preferred
- may contain any reasonable permutation of individual names
- For help in establishing an alias, please contact the IT Service Center at x8790
- If you have questions about using a specific alias, please contact Access Management at x8528
- Any other questions or issues may be logged at https://ithelp.umassd.edu