TO: The UMass Dartmouth community
FROM: Board of Trustees Chairman Robert J. Manning
RE: Chancellor Search Committee
The University of Massachusetts Board of Trustees today voted to launch a search for a new permanent chancellor for UMass Dartmouth and appointed a 19-member search committee that includes faculty, students, alumni and staff, along with highly respected community representatives and members of the UMass Board of Trustees.
UMass Trustee and South Coast business leader Steve Karam has agreed chair the committee, and BayCoast Bank President Nick Christ will serve as vice chair.
As with all chancellor searches at the University of Massachusetts, the committee will seek input from elected officials, community leaders, students, faculty and staff. A pool of candidates will be developed to submit to President Martin Meehan, who will then make a recommendation to the Board of Trustees. Due to ongoing health and safety concerns, the process will be conducted in a virtual format.
A website has been established at www.umassp.edu/umass-dartmouth-chancellor-search to keep all university stakeholders fully apprised of the committee’s progress and to accept feedback at the appropriate time. A press release announcing the search and committee will be issued shortly.
Identifying excellent leadership for UMass Dartmouth is especially critical at this moment as the higher education industry faces serious disruptions that have been exacerbated by the pandemic. We look forward to the results of the committee’s work.
The members of the Search Committee are:
- Chair: Trustee Stephen Karam, President, Karam Financial Group
- Vice Chair: Nick Christ, President & CEO, BayCoast Bank
- Michael Bushell, President, St. Anne’s Hospital
- Lisa Calise, Senior Vice President for Administration & Finance,Treasurer, UMass President’s Office
- Ismael Carreras, PhD, Chief Data Strategist and Director, UMass President’s Office
- Julie Chen, PhD, Vice Chancellor for Research and Economic Development, UMass Lowell; University-designee to Massachusetts Life Science Center
- Dean Pauline Entin, PhD Arts & Sciences, UMass Dartmouth
- Attorney Pamela Gauvin, Partner Markey & Gauvin, LLP; Trustee, Bristol Community College
- Anna Klobucka, PhD Professor, Portuguese UMass Dartmouth
- Barbara Kroncke, Executive Director, UMass Building Authority
- Student Trustee Narcisse Kunda, UMass Dartmouth
- Chancellor Jacquie Moloney, EdD UMass Lowell
- Ziddi Msangi, MFA Associate Professor Art & Design, UMass Dartmouth
- Grant O'Rielly, PhD Associate Professor, Physics, UMass Dartmouth
- Doug Roscoe, PhD Professor, Political Science, UMass Dartmouth
- Trustee Julie Ramos Gagliardi, First Vice President, BayCoast Bank
- Trustee Steve Tolman, President, Massachusetts AFL-CIO
- Dean Jean VanderGheynst, PhD Engineering, UMass Dartmouth
- Marcellette G. Williams, Past Chancellor, UMass Amherst & Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs, Student Affairs and International Relations, Emerita, UMass President’s Office