- General Recommendations - Working Remotely
- Faculty - Teaching Remotely
- Students - Learning Remotely
- Getting Help - Updated CITS Service Operation and Procedures
This is information is valid since 03/27/2020 12:50PM.
1. Communicate Your Availability
Set email away/out of office/auto-reply messages that provide critical information and set expectations. Outlook offers the ability to set separate away messages for individuals inside the organization and outside the organization.
Outlook Automatic Replies / Out of Office Notifications
- Setting an automatic reply - Outlook web application
- Setting an automatic reply - Outlook application for Windows
- Setting an automatic reply - Outlook application for macOS
- On campus: Dial extension 5002 or press the "messages" button on your phone.
- Off campus: Dial 508.910.5002 (please note that this is a 910 and not a 999 number).
- Online at https://voicemail.umassd.edu/
2. Access your Files and Data
CITS recommends that to copy your files where you can access them from multiple places or devices.
Copy all necessary files to OneDrive.
- How to upload and save files and folder to OneDrive.
- How to choose what folders to sync to OneDrive on Windows.
- How to choose what folders to sync to OneDrive on macOS.
File shares are the older file storage technology of the University. If you or your department are using file shares, you must connect via a virtual private network (VPN) from off-campus.
- VPN instructions for Windows
- VPN instructions for macOS
- (University computers map file shares automatically.)
3. Be Secure
- Ensure that your computer's operating system has the latest security updates and updated anti-virus software.
More information about anti-virus software.
- Recognize phishing attempts in emails and scrutinize email with the "External Sender" banner. Bad actors try to exploit strenuous times.
More security tips.
- Commonly used, university-licensed software comes pre-installed on your faculty laptop or office workstation. Additional software is available for self-service installation via Self-Service (macOS) and Software Center (Windows).
5. Stay Connected
- Consider what device and internet service you can access when you are not on campus.
- Staff without a laptop can request a refurbished loaner laptop from CITS with supervisor approval as long as the campus is open and while supplies last. Please see CITS Service Operation and Procedures.
- Install Zoom video conferencing software. All CITS-managed University computers have Zoom installed.
More information about Zoom.
In addition to setting out of office notifications and voicemail greetings, post your teaching contingency plan for each class in myCourses. A teaching contingency plan informs students how:
- the instructor will communicate with them.
- the course will continue. Examples are online asynchronous discussion interactions, assignment submissions, or live, synchronous class meetings via video conferencing tools.
- Faculty members automatically receive Zoom Pro licenses.
- Faculty can request Zoom Pro licenses for TAs, team leaders of student project groups, or leaders of student organizations by submitting an IT support case via https://ithelp.umassd.edu/ with the name(s) and UMassD email address(es). Students only need a Zoom Pro license, if their typical session is longer than 40 minutes.
3. Stay Connected
- CITS recommends taking your faculty laptop with you in the evenings, over the weekend, Spring Break, or any other travel. Don't forget your charger!
1. Keep in Touch
- Check the UMassD web site, myUMassD, and myCourses daily for updates and announcements.
- Communicate with your instructor by email or any means indicated by your instructor.
- Keep track of your assignments, exams, and grades.
- If you are having difficulties completing work, contact your instructor. Your instructor may be able to support you but would need to know about any challenges you are facing as soon as possible.
- Leaders of student project groups, for example, capstone projects, and student organizations can get a Zoom Pro license. You only need a Zoom Pro license, if your typical meeting session is longer than 40 minutes. Please ask your instructor or faculty advisor to request a license by submitting an IT support case via https://ithelp.umassd.edu/ with the name(s) and UMassD email address(es).
3. Stay Connected
- CITS has a limited number of used laptops that were previously located in computer labs available to students who do not have access to a computer in their place of residence. The computers support basic internet access and Microsoft Office applications. View the student laptop distribution schedule (while supplies last).
- Students wishing to purchase a laptop can follow .
- Students residing on campus can access the campus wireless network in the residence halls. Students at off-campus residences must utilize commercial internet service providers (ISPs) available in their area.
- Students can access University-licensed software via CorsairDesktop.
- Time-limited free access to commercial software.
Starting Tuesday, 03/24/2020, CITS only provides remote support.
- Request CITS support via the online IT Help form or the CITS support number at 508.999.8900. When you leave a voice message or submit a support request online, please be specific on how and when CITS staff can reach you. Calls outside the CITS service hours will be directed to the 24/7 IT help desk.
- CITS staff will reach out to you within one business day to schedule a remote support session. CITS staff may need to connect to your computer remotely to be able to assist you.
Thank you very much for your understanding and cooperation.
More information in IT Service Centers & Hours.